t
 

Annual Member Excursion

© 2018 The Old Eagle School

2018 Annual Member Excursion

On Sunday 24 June, all current Society members are invited to join us for our Annual Member Excursion, which this year will take us to the Old Eagle School in Strafford. The current historic stone building was constructed in 1788 to replace the original 1768 log structure, served as a school until 1872, and was later used as a Sunday school and chapel. In the adjoining cemetery are some 70 graves, including those of many early settlers of the area, as well as several revolutionary soldiers who died during the Valley Forge encampment of 1777–78.

We expect to be joined again this year by members of the King of Prussia and Radnor Historical Societies, and look forward to an informative presentation on the history of the building and grounds, after which we will gather for conversation and refreshments, including delicious tea sandwiches and seasonal beverages. Historian Eugene Hough will provide some background on his cemetery restoration project, including work already done there.

 

When:
2–4 pm, Sunday, 24 June 2018

Where:
Old Eagle School
Private Way
Strafford, PA 19087

The school is located on Private Way in Strafford, just off Old Eagle School Road, north of the Strafford train station. There is limited parking at the school itself. Private Way also serves as a street for several private homes so please do not block the road with your vehicle. Additional parking can be found one block south at the Goddard School, on weekends.

 

Page last updated: 2018-06-16 at 12:58 EDT
Copyright © 2006-2018 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.