Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: July 1952 Volume 7 Number 3, Pages 67–68

Historic sites within a few miles of Berwyn

(1) St. David's Church, where the bones of General Anthony Wayne are interred. Church erected in 1715. Location, Welsh line and Wayne Roads, Radnor Township Delaware County.

(2) Signal Hill. House in which Captain "Lighthorse" Harry Lee and a few dragoons beat off an assault by a large force of British dragoons led by Major Tarleton, January 17, 1778. Location, Sugartown and Newtown Roads, a mile south of Berwyn, Chester County.

(3) Valley Friends' Meeting Graveyard, site of log Meetinghouse, where a hospital existed for the sick soldiers from Valley Forge and where some three hundred of them were buried in a trench. Location, Swedesford and Old Eagle Roads, Chester Valley, east of New Centreville, Chester County.

(4) "Waynesborough" Birthplace and home of General Anthony Wayne. Original house; bronze tablet on the front. Location on Willistown Road, near Darby Road, Easttown Township, Chester County.

(5) Headquarters of General Sir William Howe, the British Commander, September 18 - 21, 1777, previous to his taking Philadelphia. Also the quarters of Brigadier General Scott of the Virginia Line during the Valley Forge Encampment of the Continental Army, 1777 - 1778. Northwest corner of State Road and Contention Lane.

(6) Site of the Paoli Inn. A famous and historic wayside tavern during and following the Revolution. Location, Paoli, north west corner of the Lincoln Highway and the Valley Road.

Page 68

(7) The General Jackson Inn on Lincoln Highway in the eastern end of Paoli was a well-run stage-coach inn from 1822 - 1830. Today it is known as the Wayside Inn.

(8) Site of the home of Reverend Dr. David Jones, Chaplain in three wars; the Revolutionary, Indian, and War of 1812. Location, on the south side of the road between Leopard and Pinchtown, Easttown Township, Chester County.

(9) Site of the first grist mill in Chester Valley. Founded by Thomas Jarman prior to 1710, and is now probably the oldest continuously operated grist mill in America. Located west of Howellville, Mill Road north of Swedesford Road.

(10) Site of the Spread Eagle Tavern and the Sentinel Chestnut Tree, where sentinels were posted during the occupation of Valley Forge by the Continental Army. Location, north east corner of Lincoln Highway and the Old Eagle School Road, Strafford.

(11) The Diamond Rock School. Octagonal type of 1818. Location on the Yellow or Chester Springs Road near Salem, Tredyffrin Township.

(12) The Old Eagle School House and Burying Ground. Location on the east side of the Old Eagle School Road near Strafford Station, Pennsylvania Railroad.

(13) Site of an old Colonial burying ground, near the north west corner of Sugartown and Waterloo Roads, south of Berwyn.

(14) The Old Leopard Tavern, where troops were enlisted during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Location northwest corner of the Darby and Leopard Roads, Easttown Township.

(15) Original site of the Old Blue Ball Tavern where a local company of dragoons were enlisted and drilled for Forbes' Expedition against Fort Duquesne in the French and Indian War. Part of the ancient tavern remains in the rear of the dwelling on the west side of the short road between Lincoln Highway and Old State Road, Daylesford.

(16) Great Valley Baptist Meetinghouse and Cemetery. Second Welsh Baptist Church organization in the Province, 1711. Located on the Baptist or Township Line Road, south of Centreville.

(17) Site of the Hammer Hollow Mills. A pre-Revolutionary mill for hammering out scythes and turning out the wooden snathes (sic). Later a grist mill and then a turning mill to produce dogwood spindles. Location, east of the Township Line Road or Old Valley Forge Road and north of the Conestoga Road, Devon.


Page last updated: 2012-03-30 at 14:24 EST
Copyright © 2006-2012 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.