Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: October 1968 Volume 15 Number 2, Pages 31–31

Cook's Corner Store

Sara Nuzum

Page 31

About 1892 Harry Cook built a store at the corner of Lancaster and Bridge Avenues, Berwyn. It was a double store; in the western half Harry Fritz had a shoe store, and in the eastern half Wilbur Peatry a hardware store. Later the two were joined and kept by Mr. Cook as a general store until he sold it to Edward Beadle who kept a grocery store there.

In 1906 the store was sold to Howard Williams and his son Harry. Howard died in 1915, but Harry kept the store until 1933 when it was again divided; he continued his grocery store in the western half until his death in 1941. The eastern part was occupied by Albert McQuiston as a real estate office, then in 1944 Dr. James G. Boyle took it as his dentist's office. After Dr. Boyle moved his office,the Reliable Cleaners took the eastern half.

The western half was continued as a grocery store by Battin Good until 1948, when Paul Good followed him as proprietor until his death in 1959. It was recently operated by John Alleva, but was vacant from March, 1965.

Mrs. Lizzie N. Williams' Estate sold the store to The Wayne Federal Savings and Loan Association in 1965 and it stood vacant until 1968 when it was sold to the Atlantic Refining Company who demolished the store in March, 1968.


Page last updated: 2010-03-03 at 3:05 EST
Copyright © 2006-2010 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.