Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: October 1998 Volume 36 Number 4, Page 104


Page 104

General George Washington used his marquee, or camp tent, as headquarters during the first days of the Valley Forge encampment. Over 130 years later, the Reverend W. Herbert Burk, an avid collector of Washington artifacts, secured the tent from the General's descendants as a centerpiece for display at the Memorial Chapel he was building at Valley Forge. Club member Ed Buck tells the story of the marquee in the first article in this issue, and raises some interesting questions about it.

Tredyffrin writer Lida Larrimore Turner Thomas published 17 novels during her career which spanned nearly 30 years before and after World War II. In the second feature, Barbara Fry has profiled Miss Larrimore's career, and comments on some of the books she wrote which may still be found in used book stores in the area today.

Efforts to raise funds to purchase the site of the Paoli Battlefield are much in the news today. As our next feature, we have reprinted the Paoli Day address made by Miss Hannah Epright 100 years ago on September 20, 1898, and a companion article of reminiscences about Paoli Day events published on April 27, 1897 in the Daily Local News.

The June club meeting was held at the Paper Mill House Museum in Newtown township. Betty Povey's story on the making of the museum, and of the mills which once occupied the adjacent area along the Darby Creek, is the final article in this issue.


Page last updated: 2009-03-11 at 12:30 EST
Copyright © 2006-2009 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.