Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: October 1999 Volume 37 Number 4, Page 110


Page 110

On July 15, 1999, the village of Berwyn was again the scene of a stop on the Chester County summer schedule of "Town Tours and Village Walks." This year's tour route led through the former industrial area at the east end of Berwyn. Jack Ansley and Herb Fry collaborated on the tour guide script which appears here as our first article.

A stop on the Berwyn Village Walk at the Bronze Building provided an opportunity to interpret its history to the walkers, The late Bob Goshorn once authored an essay about the American Non-Gran Bronze Company housed there. We present it as the second offering in this issue.

The Toroni brothers came to Berwyn from Italy shortly after the bronze industry was established here. Henry supervised the foundry and machine shop while Fernando, in 1938, struck out on his own to establish the Berwyn Bearing Bronze Company. Anne Toroni Murdock's story of the brothers and their families, who contributed much to our local community, is our next article. (Anne also provided our cover photograph.)

Ed Buck has a great interest in the history of the Lincoln Highway [today's Route 30] which bisects our local townships. He has shared with us a story of the fate of the Lincoln Highway marker at the recently reconstructed Route 30 bridge over the railroad at Paradise, Pa. It appears as our last feature.

Also included is an index for the four issues of Volume XXXVII of the Quarterly. Our next issue will be the Club's 150th.


Page last updated: 2009-03-11 at 12:30 EST
Copyright © 2006-2009 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.