Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: July 2003 Volume 40 Number 3, Page 78


Page 78

With this issue of the Quarterly we have put on a new look, more attuned to today's technology and increased use of images. We will, however, continue, as in the past, to research the local history of Tredyffrin and Easttown townships and deliver a quality product of more than passing interest. We trust you will find these advancements enhance the utility and readability of the magazine. It is, incidentally, the 160th issue published since this journal first appeared in 1937. If you would like to share comments, contact Joyce A. Post at 244 Vincent Road, Paoli, PA 19301.

On June 7, residents of Chesterbrook gathered at the Chesterbrook Village Shopping Center for a "Community Birthday Party," marking the 25th anniversary of the first occupiers of the Fox-built "new town." The first feature in this issue is a montage of images of Chesterbrook from the past and the present. Following this is a chronology of the events of the years leading up to the completion of the first homes in Chesterbrook. It provides insight into how complex local politics can get when tenacious people and land are involved.

A new occasional feature, "Looking Back in the Quarterly," excerpts material from past issues that readers may find interesting.

Loyal readers of Philadelphia's favorite newspaper, the Bulletin, mourned its demise in 1982. At the May 2003 Club meeting, journalist Peter Binzen, now a writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer, spoke of his more than 30-year career with the Bulletin. His remarks are included as the fourth article.

St. John's Presbyterian Church in Devon celebrated its centennial during April 2003. Eva Noll, good friend and past president of the Club, shares with us her brief history, written for this celebration, of the church's first eleven years, and it is presented here as the next article.

A new photo feature, "Then... and Now," appears on the last page. It will appear at the back of each issue and will show past and present photographs of a local landmark taken at approximately the same spot.

President: Roger D. Thorne
1st Vice President: Sue Andrews
2nd Vice President: Betty Ripka
Recording Secretary: Anne Murdock
Corresponding Secretary: Peggy Egertson
Treasurer: Mildred Kirkner

C. Herbert Fry
J. B. Post
Sue Andrews
Leighton Haney
Joyce A. Post

Volume 40, Number 3 – July 2003

Front cover image

Livestock barn on Chesterbrook Farm, Alexander J. Cassatt's horse and livestock farm. Built in 1898, it replaced a barn destroyed by fire earlier that year. Cassatt's friend, famed Philadelphia architect, Frank Furness, designed this barn, which has been identified by architectural historians as the last remaining Furness barn. Photograph courtesy of Eric V. Fox.


Page last updated: 2014-06-23 at 13:29 EDT
Copyright © 2006-2014 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.