Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: October 2003 Volume 40 Number 4, Page 130

Post Offices in Paoli: a Brief Photo Essay

Page 130

Illustration from page 130 Illustration from page 130
Illustration from page 130 Illustration from page 130 Illustration from page 130

The first post office in Paoli was in the original Paoli Inn, near the site of the present day post office, between December 9, 1826 and the early 1880s. From 1884 to 1893 it was in the early railroad station high above the tracks on the site of the present day railroad station now at track level. Between 1893 and 1897 it was in Schofield's store (see the illustrations on page 127). In 1897 it moved back to the railroad station into a little building to the west where it remained until 1921. In October 1921 it moved to the old Paoli Fire Company building (above left) on the south side of Route 30 just west of the bank building near the intersection with Darby Road where it remained until 1929. This area is now a bank annex with several trees planted in front. In 1929 the Gable Building (above right) on the north side of Route 30 east of the railroad station was built and the post office was here until 1955. Readers will recognize this as the present day location of Starbucks. For ten years, between 1955 and 1965, the post office was in the former site of Eric and Al Ottey's Garage (below left), formerly a Packard car agency, on the south side of Lancaster Avenue. This area is now where the Dunkin' Donuts and Radio Shack are located in the Paoli West group of shops (lower middle left). On May 15, 1965 the present building (upper middle left), east of Greenwood Avenue and west of the Paoli Village Shoppes north of Route 30, was dedicated. Upper and lower photographs: 1956, photographers unknown. Courtesy Tredyffrin Easttown History Club archives. Middle photographs: September 12, 2003. Courtesy Roger D. Thorne.


Page last updated: 2014-06-24 at 19:22 EDT
Copyright © 2006-2014 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.