Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: January 1984 Volume 22 Number 1, Pages 36–38

Notes and Comments

Page 36


Club Participates in Tricentennial "Roundup"

The Tredyffrin Easttown History Club took part in Chester County's Tricentennial "Roundup" at the Exton Mall with an exhibit featuring the history and growth of the two townships. More than twenty-five townships or boroughs participated in the event, which was held in early October in conjunction with the Mall's 10th anniversary.

The county's tricentennial observance officially came to a close on November 1st with ceremonies at the Court House in West Chester at which a "time capsule" was dedicated and buried in the Court House yard. Containing memorabilia of the various tricentennial events, letters, newspaper clippings, and other items, it is to be opened in the year 2082 as the residents of the county at that time prepare to observe the county's quadricentennial.


Restoration Expert Speaks at Annual Banquet

The speaker at this year's annual, banquet of the club, held at the Trinity Presbyterian Church in Berwyn on October 26th, was James G. Cherry. A resident of Wallace Township, he has been involved in the restoration of more than a dozen colonial homes in Chester County.

The theme of his presentation, illustrated with many color slides, was "Old Chester County Houses as Homes Today",

Page 37

Drawing by Linda McNeil


Old Tredyffrin Mill Placed on National Historic Register

The old Grist Mill in the Great Valley, more commonly referred to as the Great Valley Mill or as Jarman's Mill, on North Valley Road, is now on the National Register of Historic Places, primarily through the efforts of two club members, Anne Cook and Bob Ward. Mrs. Cook did the historical research and prepared the various forms for the application, while Bob Ward did the title search for the property.

The old mill, which was powered by water diverted from Valley Creek, was in continuous operation for more than 240 years, from 1710 to 1952.

The present mill, built in 1859 and incorporating the designs of Oliver Evans, is the third mill on the site. The first mill, built in 1710 by Thomas Jarman (or Jerman), is believed to have been a log or frame building. It was replaced sometime before the Revolutionary War with a 14 by 20 foot stone building. It was this mill that traditionally provided flour for the American army during the encampment at Valley Forge. The present five-story building, built under the ownership of Joseph F. Jeannes, is slightly larger than its predecessors. It is currently owned by W. Thomas Kelly.

Page 38

"On Location" at Stirling's Quarters

Even though it was a bright sunny day with the temperatures in the mid-60's on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving Day, there was "snow" on the roof of the old Walker barn on Yellow Springs Road, and around its entrance.

The "snow" was actually foam, and the background for actors clad in colonial costumes, rags over their shoes, cooking outdoors in large black kettles over open fires, as television crews were shooting scenes for a documentary mini-series to appear this spring.

Across the road, in the meadow to the east of Stirling's Quarters, was a modern "chuck wagon", with long lunch tables for the cast. There were also about three dozen large vans and recreational vehicles, used to carry lights and other equipment, costumes, properties, and by the crew and performers.

The mini-series is based on James T. Flexner's Washington: The Indispensable Man. The role of George Washington is being played by Barry Bostwick, with Patty Duke as Martha Washington. Others appearing will include James Mason, Jose Ferrer, Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack, and Jacquelyn Smith.

In addition to the scenes in the Walker's barn-Stirling Quarters area (the barn is also being used for hospital scenes), filming also took place at Valley Forge, Washington's Crossing, Monmouth, in Virginia, and at other locations.


Page last updated: 2009-07-29 at 14:31 EST
Copyright © 2006-2009 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.