Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: Winter 2006 Volume 43 Number 1, Page 2


Page 2

The first two articles in this issue are about events after the Revolutionary War that shaped the way Valley Forge National Historical Park is today. The second article concludes a 3-part look at Great Valley area limestone quarries and describes the quarries at Valley Forge and the village of Port Kennedy that supported the limestone industry there for 125 years—from about 1840 to 1965. Traces of Valley Forge quarries still remain but the park swallowed up Port Kennedy and today it is no longer on the map.

In the first article, “Citizens to Save Valley Forge,” one of the founders of this organization describes their efforts to stop encroachments around the edges of the park in the mid 1970s. He describes how they foiled a 1975 attempt by the Veterans Administration to build a national cemetery in Valley Forge. He also tells how they supported the effort of the state park to become a national historical park, the covered wagons and other vehicles and people who came to Valley Forge for the 1976 bicentennial, and how the act creating the national historical park was signed by President Ford at Valley Forge on July 4, 1976. The idea of a veterans cemetery at Valley Forge and the question of who should administer the park are issues that are still with us in 2006.

We are very pleased to publish Seth Hinshaw's “Evolution of Chester County Architecture.” His primer describes each major architectural style in this geographic area, giving the basic characteristics of each and including a photograph of a Chester County house or building that illustrates each style. Consult it as you travel around the area. Turn to the “Then... & Now” feature in this issue and see if you can identify the style of the house there.

Please address all comments and questions about the Quarterly to the Editor, Joyce A. Post, 244 Vincent Road, Paoli, PA 19301.

Please join us. Our March 19th meeting features Kathy King speaking on the topic “Real Colonial Women Don't Weave Cloth.” She will explain that women spun and men wove and will demonstrate flax and wool spinning before and after her presentation. This meeting is at 2 P.M. at the Easttown Library & Information Center, 720 First Avenue in Berwyn. Future meetings of the Historical Society will be on April 23, May 21, and June 18. For further information about meetings contact the President or the Program Chair.

President: Roger D. Thorne
Recording Secretary: Anne Murdock
Treasurer: J. B. Post
Program Chair: J. B. Post

Editor: Joyce A. Post
Mike Bertram
C. Herbert Fry
Craig TenBroek
Roger D. Thorne
Sue Andrews
J. B. Post

Authors retain copyright of their contributions.
The Club does not accept responsibility for the accuracy of the information in the articles.

Volume 43, Number 1 – Winter 2006

Illustration from front cover

FRONT COVER: The Caleb Pusey house in Upland is the oldest continuously standing house in southeastern Pennsylvania. It was built in 1683 and was last occupied in 1950. As Historic Preservation Planner, Seth Hinshaw, explains in his “Evolution of Chester County Architecture,” this house is an example of the Hall Plan.

Illustration from back cover

BACK COVER: This 32 cent U.S. postal stamp was issued October 1, 1955 at Boca Raton, FL. It was one of 20 stamps in a sheet commemorating “Comic Strip Classics.” This group of stamps was also issued in a set of 20 postal cards.


Page last updated: 2014-07-29 at 11:39 EDT
Copyright © 2006-2014 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.